Friday 6 July 2018

How I Am Making The Most Of My Summer


Planning my summer break is always a fun one for me. I love making plans to better myself and my career prospects while my studies have died down and I have a lot of free time. For the past few years, I have taken on shifts at my various part-time jobs and got together some savings for the following academic year. However, this year I decided to mix it up a bit! I have a list of parts of my life that I want to work on and I have already made plans for all of them.

The Internship

I have decided to take on a full-time internship in my university marketing department, to gain some experience more relevant to my career goals. I am in the middle of my first week and I am loving it! Getting into the office before 9 took some getting used to but I can already feel it becoming routine! I am so relieved that I have the opportunity to get creative and I can't wait to see how this internship progresses. Plus, it's paid so I can really get my savings together for rent next year!

The Part-Time Job

I am continuing my weekend job over the summer even though I am working a paid internship 5 days a week. This is because I need to keep my job in the next academic year and I can't just quit and reapply. It is nice to go there for a few hours a day at the weekend and see everybody though. I do love the team I work with! It's also contributing to my savings, which I really need to have for next year!

The Online Learning

As always, I am picking up some extra subjects to study on OpenLearn over the summer. They are related to business and marketing this year as I am studying them to accompany my internship and my aims to get into marketing. I love getting the time to pick up these extra courses!

The Move

I moved house! Well, I moved from my student house to a lovely little flat. It's so nice to have my own space and i'm even a little bit closer to uni and the shops! I have bought new kitchen stuff and almost fully unpacked and it already feels like home! I have also met a couple of the neighbours and they all seem so nice! I am mentioning this in the post because moving to this flat is something I have wanted to do for so long and something I have been counting down the days to. I have been so stuck in a rut with my physical and mental health and moving into this nicer space has really had an impact on me! I have been eating well and exercising at home and I have even started journalling again. My mental health is so improved already!

The Gym

Thanks to the internship and my ongoing weekend job, I can finally afford to join the gym! I am so fed up of feeling groggy and unhealthy and figured this summer is the perfect opportunity to get active and get to the gym! Plus, I'm going into my final year as a student so I've got to make the most of my student gym discount! I'm going to start at a gym with a pool so I can also get back into swimming. I can't wait!

The Habits

I have developed some nasty habits over the past year that I really need to curb. Smoking is a big one that I need to quit, and I need to get my eating under control as I binge eat so much when I'm sad, lonely or bored! I have already begun to work on my sleep hygiene and my ability to wake up in the morning has already improved so much!

The University Preparation

Getting all my habits and routines sorted means that i'm as ready as I can be for third year. It's going to be tough and busy so it's good to take the time now to work on my personal development! I am hoping to read more development books, pick up more tips and ideas, and really pull myself together.

Relax!

The best way to prepare for the next year of university is to take some time to chill out! I'm going to take a couple days off to spend time with friends and I have already taken some time at home to spend some time with my family. I enjoy keeping busy but sometimes you just need to relax and take some time off!

How are you spending your summer?x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me @jessistryingblog