Wednesday 17 January 2018

Good Reads #1 // Bookish

Starting yet another series on this blog, but it's something a bit different! These are just a few book recommendations I have picked up, recently and not so recently! I have a massive passion for reading and I am excited to write a bit more about the books which have inspired me and affected me. These will be a mixture of genres and titles as I love so many very different books!

Get Your S**t Together // Sarah Knight


This was the first self-improvement(ish) book I fully got into and it started my obsession with this whole genre of books! In the coming posts, you will probably see a number of self-improvement books but this is the one that started my addiction! It is witty, hilarious and completely blunt and managed to really motivate me in my first year of university! Sarah Knight is brilliant and I cannot wait to read her other books because I know I will love them if they are anything like Get Your S**t Together!

Kitchen // Banana Yoshimoto



Kitchen is such a beautiful little book! It is made up of two stories, both about young women coping with loss and grief. It is easy to read and the narration has a beautiful simplicity to it. It takes the mundane and makes it magical. The way that the kitchen is seen as the life and soul of a home is so simple a concept, and yet Yoshimoto makes it feel extraordinarily beautiful!

The Secret History // Donna Tartt



You can tell how much I love this book by how battered my copy is from carrying it around with me so much! I have mentioned this novel when asked about my favourite book countless times, ever since I first read it a few years ago! It is a hefty but rewarding read about a group of eccentric classics students. It is hard to sum up this book without giving much away, but it features themes of murder and mystery and is entirely captivating! Such an incredible novel which is so skillfully written!

Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair // Pablo Neruda


I love a good book of poetry and this one is just stunning! Pablo Neruda has an incredible way with words and you can really feel his poems. This is a super slim book so it is easy to carry around with you and to pull out whenever you fancy reading something or want some inspiration and something to think about.

This was a short and sweet post with just a few of my recommendations! Let me know if you have any recommendations as I am always looking for something new to read!! Thank you for reading, hope you have a lovely day! xo

4 comments:

  1. I've just found your blog and I'm absolutely obsessed I've binge read so many of your posts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Such a wonderful comment! Made my day! x

      Delete
  2. Wow, interesting picks! Reading your take on the first one really caught my attention as I'm starting my first year of uni as well. I never read self-improvement books so this might just be what I need right now! Will definitely keep an eye out for that :) Thanks for referring it!
    Also, you have a lovely blog! I'd love if we can follow each other on Bloglovin maybe? <3 Let me know!
    Have a nice weekend x

    Joanne | With Risa: A Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So glad you liked the post! Hopping over to your blog to give you a lil follow! x

      Delete

Follow Me @jessistryingblog