Wednesday 27 December 2017

My Favourite TED Talks

My obsession with TED talks has been a long-term thing and I wanted to finally share my top 7 TED talks and discuss why I love them so much! This is in no particular order and this list changes constantly so I may do an updated list in the future. I would love to know what your favourites are as I am always looking for more to watch!


The Art of Asking - Amanda Lepore

This talk is so beautiful. Amanda Lepore talks about her experiences in asking for help, staying with strangers on the road, and the relationships between artists and their fans. It emphasises the importance of connecting with others and creating a community of giving and receiving. Her experiences are interesting and amusing and heartwarming. A lovely uplifting talk to watch when you want to feel warm and cheerful.

Strange Answers to the Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson

Ronson is a very charming, funny man and an excellent writer. I was so excited when I found this talk and I was not disappointed. His interesting stories coupled with the great use of sound and visuals make this talk so entertaining and one that can be enjoyed time and time again. He talks about 'psychopath spotting' and the grey area between sanity and psychopathy. It is a very amusing and thought-provoking talk and one of my long-standing favourites!

What Hallucination Reveals About Our Minds - Oliver Sacks

There is a theme of psychology in this list, purely because I am a psychology student and this is my biggest passion. Oliver Sacks wrote many books and I admired him greatly. This talk about hallucinations and Charles Bonnett syndrome is interesting and beautifully delivered!

What I Learned From Going Blind In Space - Chris Hadfield

Chris Hadfield is awesome! I have enjoyed his videos from the International Space Station many times and this talk is just as enjoyable. He talks about bravery and shows beautiful images that he has taken looking down at the world. He is a very funny and charismatic man and his personality alone makes this talk so fun and interesting to watch!

The Psychology of Evil - Philip Zimbardo

As a psychology student, Zimbardo's work fascinates me. In this talk, he discusses the infamous Stanford Prison Experiment, its implications, and his theories on the psychology of evil. This talk does include some disturbing imagery which may be found distressing, just a warning. The Stanford Prison Experiment has since been recreated in a film starring Ezra Miller. It's really interesting to hear it stripped back and explained by the man behind it all in this talk.

If I Should Have a Daughter - Sarah Kay

Sarah Kay is one of my favourite spoken word poets and this TED talk is absolutely beautiful! Her recital of 'B' paired with her general talk is wonderful. She is very gentle and warm and it is a lovely and lighthearted talk. It makes me want to go out there, be creative, and engage with poetry the way I used to in my teens.

The Price of Shame - Monika Lewinsky

Monika Lewinsky's honest and insightful talk speaks volumes about public humiliation and shame. She remained silent amongst the controversy that notoriously surrounded her so it is interesting and refreshing to hear what she has to say.

Please feel free to recommend your favourite TED talks as I am always looking for more inspiration and interesting topics! Hope you enjoyed this post and enjoy these talks as much as I do!




4 comments:

  1. I’ve never watched a TED talk but the ones you mentioned seems pretty interesting. I will definitely check out the Jon Ronson, Chris Hadfield and Oliver Sacks ones since they caught my attention and I’m intrigued. Great post!

    http://thenoisygum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! There's a talk for everyone on their channel! Enjoy exploring! <3

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I first started listening to TED talks back when I was at uni but I haven't really listening to any properly since then. Maybe one or two but that's it, I'll have to check these ones out and get back into listening to them again!

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think and if you find any new ones! Would love to watch even more! <3

      Delete

Follow Me @jessistryingblog